About the HCTC
The National Health Care Team Challenge is an interprofessional student team event that promotes teamwork and collaboration among students across Canada. The HCTC provides students with the opportunity to put their learning into practice. Over the course of the challenge students will be exposed to the interprofessional values and core competencies.
- Behaviours and attitudes: mutual respect, trust, collaboration
- Knowledge: roles of other health professionals
- Skills: communication, reflection
- Roles and responsibilities
- Collaborative patient-/client-/family-centred approach
- Conflict management/resolution
- Team functioning
Each student team is provided with the same case with the goal of developing a collaborative interprofessional patient-/client-centred management plan. On the day of the event, student teams present their plans to an audience of clinicians, academics, community members, and students. Teams are judged on both the quality of the management plan and level of team collaboration.
The IPHA has participated in each HCTC since its inception. We host a similar challenge locally each fall. Interested students are recruited and further trained to participate in the national challenge.
National Health Care Team Challenge 2011